Turn your ideas into reality with this Discovery Education’s 3M “Young Scientist Challenge and meet other science super-heroes. In this program you have a chance to work with 3M mentors. In order to be considered, eligible students must be currently enrolled in 5th through 8th grade at the time of entry. The winner will receive $25,000 and an exclusive 3M Mentorship.
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content, professional development, and the largest professional learning community of its kind.
- Award Amount: $25,000
- Deadline: April 19, 2018
- Winner Announcement: On or around June 18, 2018
The eligibility criteria are as follows:
- The challenge is open to all legal U.S. residents who are students enrolled in 5th through 8th grade at a public, private, parochial, or home school located in one of the fifty United States or the District of Columbia.
- Former Young Scientist Challenge finalists are not eligible to enter the Contest.
- In order to be considered eligible, students must be currently enrolled in 5th through 8th grade at the time of entry and comply with these Official Rules and the safety guidelines set forth below (“Safety Guidelines”).
- Employees, officers and directors of Discovery Education, Inc. (the “Sponsor”) and 3M Company (“Promotional Partner”), their parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising agencies, promotional suppliers, and their immediate family members (spouse, siblings, and children, regardless of where they live) and members of the same households (whether related or not) (collectively, “Contest Entities”) are not eligible.
Instructions for Applying:
In order to apply, you must check the given link: https://www.youngscientistlab.com/user/register?destination=/competition/video_challenge/enter
Video Submission: To enter, a student must submit one, and only one, entry video in accordance with the Challenge detailed above in Section 5 (the “Entry Video”).
- The Entry Video must be longer than 60 seconds, but not longer than 120 seconds.
- The Entry Video must be the original work of the student. Only the student can appear in the Entry Video, no other individuals should be filmed.
- Students must work independently on the development of their video concept and must record their video with minimal help or direction from others.
- Entries which include non-student work will be disqualified.
- Up to 51 State Merit Prizes:Each state merit award winner will receive a Technology Prize Pack, which includes a tablet and other prizes selected by Sponsor in its sole discretion. The approximate retail value (“ARV”) of each State Merit prize is $299.
- 10 Finalist Prizes: All 10 finalists shall win the following:
- Participation in the Summer Mentorship Program as described in Section 7 above.
- A digital device to document their summer mentorship program, ARV $299.
- Support to create a blog for posting their innovation diary which will include notes, videos, images—any and all documentation in support of their bid for the Final Event. There is no retail value ascribed to this educational opportunity.
- A trip to the Final Event to compete for the Grand Prize (as defined below). Trip includes: hotel accommodations for 2 or 3 nights as determined by Sponsor for the finalist and one parent or legal guardian (one standard room of double occupancy) at a hotel selected by Sponsor
- Meals shall consist of 1 breakfast, 1 lunch and 2 dinners each for the finalist and one parent/guardian.
- $1,000.00 cash, awarded as a check made payable to the finalist*;
- A Contest medal selected by Sponsor;
- The opportunity, at Sponsor’s option and sole discretion, to participate in future Contest-related promotional events.
- Each Finalist will also receive one of the following prizes, based on the outcome of the Final Event:
- Six Second Place Prizes: Each Second Prize Winner will receive the following: $500 to be applied toward an “Excitations” excursion.
- Three Runner-Up Prizes: Each Runner-Up Winner will receive the following: A 2 day/1 night trip for the winner and one (1) adult chaperone to attend a taping of a Discovery Networks show selected by Sponsor, ARV $2,400. Actual trip destination and all related details and restrictions will be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, and disclosed at the time of award notification.
- One Grand Prize: The Grand Prize winner will receive the following:
- $25,000.00 cash, awarded as a check made payable to the winner;
- a 2 day/1 night trip for the winner and one (1) adult chaperone to attend a taping of a Discovery Networks show selected by Sponsor, ARV $2,400.
- Actual trip destination and all related details and restrictions will be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, and disclosed at the time of award notification. A
- Contest trophy selected by Sponsor, and The title of “America’s Top Young Scientist 2018”.
- For the avoidance of doubt, the Grand Prize winner will also receive a finalist prize, except for the $1,000.00 check; instead he/she will receive a grand total of $25,000.00 in cash, awarded as a check.
- 10 Finalist Educator Prizes: The person identified in each finalist’s entry as being that finalist’s most influential educator (as it relates to the finalist’s participation in the Contest) will receive a 3M/Discovery Education innovation pack of items selected by Sponsor in its sole discretion, ARV $100.
Detailed Information Link: